Updating a bathroom vanity
Once the grout project was complete the vanity seemed somewhat tired (read really really dated, and more suitable for cabin/RV use, than a “modern” bathroom”).
Brace yourselves because here’s the horrendous before picture.
Updating a bathroom vanity video
Since the handy hubby and I are always tackling projects in our own home on the cheap I figured it was finally time to start sharing some of them for others to draw some knowledge and inspiration from.
Besides, I figured, even if we never have any blog followers at least we’ll have a chronicle of our home before and afters for our own sake.
It was more art than science attempting to even out the reveal around the doors and make sure everything was hanging approximately even.
(I used playing cards as shims to help get the right spacing around the perimeter) Remodelaholic is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Cassity started Remodelaholic with her husband, Justin, to share their love for knocking out walls together.
The bathroom updating started pretty innocently, in fact it started with cleaning the tile floor.
The cleaning went wrong when some grout got scrubbed out of the tile joints and then things snow balled from there.
It’s a good thing I now have some practice because this’ll have to be perfect on our stain grade maple cabinets.
The bead was installed with some finish nails using the air gun. I get giddy when I get to use it so I forgot to sand the bead molding before installing so the wood was a little fuzzy but the two coats of paint I put over it helped hide it a bit. Using the leftover from the 3” poplar board that we cut the bead profile away from, Jens made cabinet door rails and stiles using his brand spanking new router table and a rail and stile router bit set.
I’m not going to go into all the details, I’ll let Jens explain that complicated part in his own post some day for those of you who are into the hard-core woodworking stuff. I then got the fun job of sanding the assembled doors and priming/painting them (See step 3). Besides picking out the correct hinges for an inset door, there’s not much to explain here.
We used a more traditional looking hinge and pull in a modern brushed nickel finish to echo the new traditional form and modern finish of the cabinet.
The whole cabinet received multiple coats of grey primer and glossy black latex paint as well as some classy brushed nickel hardware to top it off. As far lessons learned, the old standby “take your time” really reared its ugly head on this one, we got impatient to get it completed and that caused some naggling little problems such as brush marks, inconsistent reveals between the doors and door frame and slightly off kilter knobs.